The purpose of education advocacy is to:
- Educate parents, guardians, and self-advocates about the rights provided by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Empower people with strategies for navigating the K-12 special education process
- Overcome barriers to FAPE
The Arc of Fort Bend County will encourage parents be active participants in their child’s education by:
- Sharing relevant information, resources and services available in the community
- Encouraging participation in parent and self-advocate support groups in the community
- Presenting to parents and educators on various disability and special education topics
- Hosting a parent support group
- Maintaining a print and video library on special education topics
- Providing special education guidance consultations (30 mins.)
- Reviewing* student Individualized Education Program (IEP) and related documents
- Attending* Admission Review and Dismissal (ARD) meetings (at discretion of Director over Education Advocacy)
The Arc of Fort Bend County does not provide legal advice or representation. Consult an attorney if legal advice or representation are needed.
Special Education Guidance Consultation: (30 mins.)
The Program Director over Education Advocacy K-12 will provide special education guidance consultation and training to parents and students.
IEP Review for The Arc of Fort Bend Members:* (1 hour review meeting) Email email@example.com
The Program Director over Education Advocacy K-12 will review the student’s IEP and latest evaluation, provide education guidance, training, and provide information on additional community resources and services.
- Current member of The Arc of Fort Bend County.
- Complete Education Advocacy Request Form and fax copy of latest IEP and evaluation to 281/494-5960.
- Watch The Arc of Fort Bend County “Advocacy Essentials” presentation video.
ARD Meeting Attendance for The Arc of Fort Bend Members:*Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
IEP review session required prior to ARD meeting attendance. ARD attendance is at the discretion of the Program Director over Education Advocacy K-12.
* IEP Review and ARD meeting attendance are a benefit of membership with The Arc of Fort Bend Co.